Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Sinning with your Mouth

How many times have you said something and then realized that you should have just kept your mouth shut.  I can not tell you the amount of times I have had "the talk" with my hubby about how I said one thing or another that I should not have said.  Generally, it's not a huge thing but it's just me saying something that did not need to be said...not thinking before i opened my mouth and inserted my big foot in "hey are you going to so in so's party?" Not thinking that maybe that person was not even invited.  Talking to someone "I can't believe that so in so brought their kids sick to the church preschool, my kids will be sick for sure now."  

What is our need to say things that are best not said?
Have I forgotten that the scriptures are very clear about the mouth?
So do I realize that I'm sinning with my mouth every time this happens?

I have notice that my precious son has gotten in the habit of whining lately.  I try and stop him and tell him that he needs to have a happy heart (thanks Lindy for that saying) which he understand.  The problem is that I'm not teaching him that the scripture tells us to "Do everything without complaining or arguing." Philippians 2:14.  What D does not know is that yes we need to have a happy heart not only because mom does not want to hear whining but because this is what is please to Jesus (something his mom needs to work on daily as well).

So we are now beginning to explain to D that when he begins to whine that he has lost his "freedom to speak" and must be silent now because what is coming out of his mouth is not please to his mommy or to Jesus.  This is a time out for the amount of his age which is 3 minutes. 

 I have only done this a few time now and he does not fully understand.  Right now he is wanting to finish his sentence first before he is quiet (a habit that he will be working on for a long time if he is anything like his mother) 

I need to remember that this mouth of mine can get me in a lot of trouble and I do want to obey my heavenly father and not be a friend, wife, or mommy that is know as one who is a complains, argues all the time, or is a whiner.  

Hebrews tells us that we need to be encouraging one another as we see the Day approaching.  In a time when much of what we see is negative we need to make sure that we are the salt and the light to this world and that we are not blending in more than we are standing out.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Monica. I'm not good about backing up rules/structure with scripture. Thanks for the encouragement to do so.

    Merry Christmas! ENJOY your sweet girls! We loved having Kristie for a little while this week...

    ReplyDelete